Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hump Day Artist of the Week VII

We are at week seven for the Hump Day Artist series and I am really enjoying this segment of my blog. It's a great deal of fun and when I get to week ten, brace yourselves, I've got something cookin'!

This week's artist is one that seems to have dropped off the map recently but is definitely one of the more prominent groups for me in the late 90s and early 2000s. And with the recent news that they will be getting back together after a three year hiatus, I have decided to give this weeks nod to Eve 6. Eve 6 came out with their debut album "Eleventeen" but didn't really hit the jackpot until they came out swinging with their sophomore self-titled effort two years later.

"Inside Out" and "Leech" made 1998 the best year for Eve 6 and they got their well deserved critical acclaim that pushed their album to platinum heights. The songs tore up the rock charts but also were very successful within mainstream and adult contemporary as well. they showed their versatility with these songs and never looked back.

They moved on to Horrorscope in 2000 and that stands as my favorite Eve 6 album to date. Their first single, "Promise" grabs you by the neck of your shirt and forces you to bob your head along with Max's vocals. The album is just flat out fun. I'm sure that I don't have to tell you about the other break-out hit from Horrorscope, "Here's to the Night." When I first heard this song, I took from it that it was about a one-night stand. Then a bunch of high schools decided to use it as a graduation theme and I could see that too. Listen to it again and see if you can hear each theme within it. Also, I would highly recommend you pick up a hard copy of this album if you haven't yet. It has some of the coolest liner art I've seen. They put in a picture of a street scene that has references to every song on the CD. I'm still looking at it and finding new tidbits here and there.

A couple years later, Eve 6 put out It's All in Your Head. It didn't do too great, and it wasn't really a stellar album. The only stand out track was their first single, "Think Twice." The poor sales of this record ultimately led to the band being dropped from their record label and breaking up.

The good news is that it's a new day for Eve 6 fans. They're getting back together to play some shows and then eventually work on a new album. So before they take the world by storm, check out some of their original hits so you can sing along the next time they come to rock Wisconsin!

No comments: